What to do after a Car Accident in Round Rock
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, there were more than 14,000 automobile accidents in Texas in 2017. These accidents resulted in more than 17,000 serious injuries. Although you may take the necessary precautions every time you get behind the wheel, you can still become one of these statistics. In the event you’re involved in a collision, there are certain steps you should take to protect your legal options.
1. Stop. Even if the accidents seem like a minor fender bender to you, you should never leave the scene of an accident. The only exception to this is a medical emergency is if you are taken by an ambulance. Leaving the scene under any other circumstance will cause confusion and could be charged with a hit and run. Title 7 of the Texas Transportation Code outlines in detail the potential penalties and charges associated with leaving the scene of an accident in Texas.
2. Get medical attention. If you or anyone else involved in the accident is injured, call emergency personnel immediately. Significant injuries to the back and neck can result from even minor accidents. Most professionals advise victims, who experience any discomfort after a collision, to seek medical attention. Documenting your injuries will be important in the event you retain a Round Rock car wreck lawyer and file a claim.
3. Collect contact information on the scene. If possible, you need to exchange names, email addresses, phone numbers, and insurance information with everyone else involved in the accident. You also need to write down the tag numbers and driver’s license numbers of all the parties involved. Don’t forget about the eyewitnesses. They can be crucial if you decide to go to court.
4. Take pictures. If you can take photos of the crash scene at the time of the accident, you should do so. Pictures of damages done to all the vehicles involved are essential. Photographic evidence can be crucial if there is a dispute later on about who was at fault.
5. Consult with an experienced attorney. Many accident victims don’t understand their rights under Texas law. Even if you are held partly responsible for the collision you can still file a personal injury lawsuit.
Victims of serious auto accidents are often traumatized. They not only have to worry about their physical and, in some cases, mental health, they are also often faced with staggering medical bills, lost wages, uncooperative insurance companies, and property loss. Ongoing rehabilitation and permanent loss of earning capacity can result.
Retaining the services of an experienced Round Rock car wreck lawyer can make all the difference. The Elissa I. Henry Law Firm includes a team of highly qualified attorneys dedicated to making legal services accessible to all. They provide clients with the legal expertise necessary to get them fair compensation after serious auto accidents. If you’ve been injured in a collision and want a fair and unbiased assessment of your legal options, contact the Elissa I. Henry Law Firm today.
For more information please visit our site.