Research Your Gifts this Holiday Season
The holidays are always a busy time of year as you hunt for the perfect gift for special people in your life. During this rush, it’s essential to check to see if the gifts you want to purchase are safe.
It’s that time of year to be bombarded with TV, print, and online advertisements and gift guides. Whether you’re busy finding the perfect gift for your neighbor, grandma, or child, you should consider safety a factor in gift-giving. The toy you buy your new nephew could pose a choking hazard, the new electronic device for your grandma could be a fire risk, and the holiday decoration for your neighbor could contain toxic materials. By researching your gifts this holiday season, you can prevent the ones you love from sustaining serious injury. If you or someone you love has already been injured by a defective product, don’t hesitate to reach out to an experienced Round Rock personal injury lawyer.
Just because a product is available to consumers doesn’t mean that it is safe. Recalls can impact many different types of products. Although you may not hear about them frequently, product recalls happening all the time. In recent weeks, the Consumer Product Safety Commission has announced dozens of product recalls, including:
- Sonoma Good for Life Three-Wick candles (sold at Kohls) pose fire and burn hazards as the heat of the candle can ignite or break the wax surface
- InvoSpa heated blankets can overheat, creating a burn and fire hazard.
- Arena Swim Snorkles can release excess material from inside the breathing tube, creating a choking hazard.
- Cat & Jack “Himani” and “Jaren” Toddler Boots (sold at Target) present a possible choking hazard to children as a toggle on the boot that can detach from the elastic.
- Salsa Cutthroat Bicycles have fork legs that are a fall hazard to riders because they can crack and break.
- YETI Rambler Travel Mugs with stronghold lid can cause burns and other injuries if the slider on the lid ejects while it contains hot liquids.
Checking for Recalls
To check for recalls on the products you want to purchase as gifts, you’ll want to check the Recall List maintained by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Here you can use a search tool for specific products and look through product recalls listed by date. If a product on this list injured you, you’d want to contact a knowledgeable Round Rock personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
You can also check product reviews online. These reviews are sometimes deceiving, but they can also give you an accurate idea of how safe a product might be. Take a look at the bad reviews for the product to see if there are any consistencies between consumers regarding dangers.
Injured by a Defective Product? A Round Rock Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help
If you were recently injured by a defective or recalled product, it’s time to meet with a Round Rock personal injury lawyer at the Elissa I. Henry Law Firm, PLLC. Call (512) 766-4529 today or use our online contact form to request an appointment.